Mommy Tips : Ways to help your child during a HFMD infection
Updated: Jul 30
Hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) infections among children happen more often than we think, especially as daycares are back to full capacity. Symptoms of HFMD include sores or ulcers inside or around the mouth, as well as rashes or blisters on the hands, feet, legs, or buttocks.
While many diseases can be prevented through vaccination, not much can be done when it comes to HFMD, leaving many parents at a loss on how they can make things more bearable for their children.
If you are a parent with a child that’s experiencing HFMD, you are not alone! We asked 3 mommies about their worries while their children were going through HFMD, as well as their personal tips for helping their children.
“The part that concerns me the most is that my child refuses to eat and drink due to the discomfort.”
- Drink cold fruity drinks or ice cream to soothe the pain in the mouth/throat.
- Prepare soft foods like porridge and noodles (left chilled) which are easier to consume.
- Offering small but frequent amounts of fluids to prevent dehydration.
“I fear that my child will have permanent scarring due to the blister”
- Get your child to wear long sleeves / long pants to protect the blisters and to prevent them from scratching.
- Keep the surrounding temperature cool because the skin may be irritated and start to itch more when it gets hot.
- Purchase over-the-counter medication to relieve symptoms of fever, sore throat, and itch.
“I’m afraid of my child contracting the infection again especially when he or she returns to school”
- Allow your child to stay home until they fully recover (once blisters are dried).
- Avoid sharing food, drinks, eating utensils, toothbrushes, towels, or other personal items.
- The school/daycare center must be informed of the current infection and should be advised to sanitize their premises.
Have more unanswered questions regarding HFMD? Connect and speak to a pediatrician online through our Doctor Anywhere app and get medication delivered right to your doorstep.